Stuffed peppers are a fantastic food to make on a less busy day to use for lunches during the week! The key is to make them with a protein that is going to keep you full for a long time. Quinoa is your guy!
You can even freeze the leftovers and use another day, or cut the recipe in half if you want less.
- 1 C uncooked quinoa (rinsed and drained)
- 6 bell peppers, cut into half (seeds and top removed)
- 1Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can corn (rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 C cilantro – C chopped
- 1tbsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Lime, halved
Optional: Hot sauce for extra taste
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Cook Quinoa (RINSE quinoa first) Add 2 cups water to small pot, bring to a boil, add quinoa, stir. Cover when back to boiling. Remove from heat after ~15minutes or quinoa is transparent)
- In a large pan: sautee red onion in olive oil and crushed garlic. When red onions are transparent, add black beans, corn, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir well and continue to heat for ~3 minutes.
- Squeeze 1/2 lime into sauté pan
- When quinoa is cooked, squeeze remaining 1/2 lime in and stir.
- Add quinoa to bean, corn, quinoa mixture and stir.
- Place bell peppers on a cookie sheet. Scoop mixture into the bell peppers.
- Place in pre-heated oven and cook for ~15 minutes, until the bell pepper is soft.