Presto pesto! I’d been craving pesto lately for some reason. Maybe it’s because I’ve had a basil plant flourishing in my kitchen? Or, because of my brand new food processor wanted to be used? Whatever the reason, I was going to get some!
While at the store grabbing some ingredients. I was checking out some pre-made guys.The ingredient lists were fairly long, with, in my optinion, too much oil and Fay. I’m sure they taste good. But, when we control what we put in foods, we can know it’s good! Plus, that jarred stuff is super expensive. It’s more economically efficient to make your own.
I made some that added all kinds of good fats from avocado, nuts and some oil. Plus, added some extra flavors with the lemon and nutritional yeast. Here’s how to make it!
- 3 cups of basil, packed lightly
- Juice from 1 medium lemon
- 1/4C pine nuts
- 1/4C cashews
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients (except for the olive oil and avocado)
- Pulse mixture until evenly chopped.
- Add the avocado, and slowly add olive oil through the top of the processor.
- Continue to pulse until evenly combined (NOT completely smoothe–see picture for a good idea of texture)
I used this for about 2 weeks! Its stable in the fridge for about 3 weeks.
Ideas for using pesto:
*Add to roasted potatoes or vegetables
*Sauce for zucchini noodles mixed with pasta sauce
*Spread on a sandwich.
*In your eggs