Freshhhhhh! My thoughts after having a bite of this delicious mixture of flavors. My co-worker brought a sample of a watermelon salad she had from home, minty+lemony, and it was delicious. So, I created a tweak for it.
This salad is perfect for sides at lunch, get togethers and barbeques. I had some today for breakfast and as an afternoon snack 😉
- 1 seedless watermelon (~7-8 lb)
- 1 C red grapes, halved
- 1/2C red onion, thinly diced.
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil leaves
- 1Tbsp sprouted sunflower seeds (or pine nuts)
- Cut the watermelon into half. Then cut off the flesh. I find it easiest to cut the watermelon into wedges first. After shell is off, cut into bite size pieces.
- In a small bowl, squeeze lemon to juice, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk in chopped mint and basil.
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon, grapes and onion. Pour dressing over the melon mixture. Toss gently until evenly mixed and coated.
- Add sunflower seeds and gently mix again.
- Garnish with mint. ENJOY!!:)