I saw a great idea on Pinterest for “burritos bite”s, and I thought I could try to make a healthy breakfast version. Anddd….it was super successful! We had a breakfast potluck for my work (I work with a bunch of Registered Dietitians, nurses and endocrinologists) and these were enjoyed by everyone.
These guys are very easy to make (seriously). Plus if you make a bunch, you can freeze them and reheat them for a quick on the go breakfast! They are a perfect breakfast combination with high protein (egg whites/black beans) + fiber (wheat tortilla/beans) to help keep you full and sustain energy until your next snack. Plus, they give you a full serving of vegetables per burrito bite!
- 10 10″ whole wheat tortillas, cut in half
- 12 eggs, 6 with yolks removed (or 2C eggbeater a or egg whites)
- 1 orange bell pepper-diced
- 1 zucchini-diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1/ white onion-diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Optional: 1 C reduced-fat cheese
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Mix chopped veggies and cilantro in a small bowl
- Spray cupcake tin with olive oil spray
- Line cupcake tin with half a tortilla each (see photo)
- Fill each cup half full with ~Tbsp if beans and 1Tbsp of vegetable mix
- Pour egg into each cup to cover beans and veggies
- Optional: top with 1/2 Tbsp of cheese
- Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven, rotate pans 180 degrees, and bake for another 10-15 minutes (ready when middle of egg bowl is springy to the touch
- Top with salsa, hot sauce and/or plain non-fat Greek yogurt (tastes just like sour cream).