I had a purple potato left from last week and it was begging to be eaten. So, I made sure that happened. I hadn’t made quinoa in a while and figured the two would be a good mix. This is a great meatless monday dish 😉
When I cook, I usually throw things together and hope for the best. Success. Here I sautéed potatoes with garlic and ginger, then added quinoa, tomatoes, garbanzo beans and water. I made a LOT and have been eating it all week at work on top of arugula. BOMB.
Here’s how to make this concoction…
- Olive oil spray
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp crushed fresh ginger (you can find this in the produce isle in a jar or bottle)
- 1/4 C chopped green onions
- 2 medium purple potatoes cut into cubes. (Leave the skin on, it has good fiber. And, if you can’t find any purple potatoes, a large sweet potato works)
- 1/4 C chopped cilantro
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1C quinoa, rinsed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 C water
- Spray a large sautee pan with olive oil spray.
- Heat pan on high heat. Add garlic, ginger and green onions.
- Add purple potatoes and sautee for about 10 minutes, stiring often
- When potatoes are slightly soft, add cilantro, tomatoes, chickpeas and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add quinoa, lime and chili powder to pan along with water and stir.
- When mixture begins boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Continue to simmer until quinoa is cooked, about 20 minutes or when quinoa is translucent
- Serve with lime and cilantro if desired.