Summer is upon us! For many people, this means camping season! Camping is a great way to get outside, enjoy nature and explore. It oftentimes also means eating a lot of junk food…that mindless sitting+snacking combo is a very popular one at campgrounds. Also,we tend to center our meals around unhealthy foods because they’re easier and they are what we are used to.
So! What I have started, are some healthy camping recipes and ideas that can help you stay healthy all year round. Starting with this past weekend’s recipe. Very simple quinoa/bean recipe that I made the night before we left to camp. It lasted me two days/two nights and was a life saver for me.
I plan on camping lots this summer, so look forward to new ideas as I go!
Protein Packed Quinoa and Beans
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups raw spinach
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup of salsa (any kind)
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Cook quinoa according to package directions (usually 1cup quinoa to 1.5cups water)
- When quinoa is done cooking, keep stove on low and add spinach and cilantro. Stir to wilt spinach
- Add beans and salsa to quinoa and mix
- Refrigerate in an air tight Tupperware container. Keep in the cooler when camping.
- Enjoy on flat bread with avocado, in a cup alone, or however you can imagine! I forgot hot sauce this trip, but I’d imagine it’d be super yummy with it.
(This recipe lasted me a full weekend and was used for breakfast and dinner for two days for two people)