Coleslaw that is typically eaten in America are high fat, high calories, and not an item that should be consumed frequently. Other countries get this right. My friend shared this recipe with me, that her grandmother from Mexico has made for years. It is a light, healthy delicious coleslaw with no creams or added fats. Lots of flavor!
- 1 head of red cabbage, shredded
- 4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 C cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Habanero pepper, diced (if you like heat! these are spicy guys)
- Sea salt and corse ground pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl
- Mix thoroughly.
- Let marinate for ~30 minutes and serve!
Here is some coleslaw I made, served with a quiona lentil taco! Yum! The recipe for the quinoa lentil taco coming soon 😉