I had some fun with fajitas last weekend! I went to my friends place to help make dinner, we’re getting into a thing of doing this quite often, and I’m loving it!
Typical restaurant fajitas, although delicious, are super high in fat and can make you feel like crap the next day, literally. So, we made some healthier veggie fajitas from almost scratch. Super easy, super fun, and DELICIOUS! Plus, we made a ton so there were plenty of healthy leftovers for my friends to take on their adventures the next day.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onion – chopped
- 4 medium red bell peppers – cut into strips
- 4 medium yellow bell peppers – cut into strips
- Fajita seasoning (1 package)
- 1 can of low fat re-fried black beans (Trader Joe’s has a great version)
- 1 head of red cabbage
- Cut in half. Shred half of the head, keep the other half for your shell
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, wedged
- 10 x 6″ tortillas (I used cabbage for my shell)
- Hot sauce (I recommend a lot)
- In a large sautee pan, add olive oil and onions and cook on medium high for about 2 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and fajita seasoning to sautee pan, and mix.
- Continue cooking pepper and onion mixture until onion is translucent and bell peppers are soft (about 5-10 minutes, you can cook longer if you prefer soft veggies)
- In a microwavable bowl, add can of refried black beans and heat until warm (~2 minutes, stirring halfway).
- Scoop bell peppers mix into a tortilla or cabbage bowl, top with black beans, red cabbage, cilantro and hot sauce. Enjoy the leftovers for 3-5 days!
Here are some photos of how the leftovers were used! My friend Nick Cahill shot these on his adventure with his girlfriend Jess. They went out snowmobiling, and had a great healthy lunch! (P.S. he has amazing photographs, check him out at http://cahillfilms.com/blog/ )
One Comment Add yours
What i don’t understood is in reality how you’re not really much more well-favored than you might
be right now. You’re so intelligent. You realize thus considerably relating to this
subject, made me in my opinion believe it from a lot
of numerous angles. Its like men and women don’t seem to be
involved unless it is one thing to do with Lady gaga!
Your own stuffs excellent. Always deal with it up!