Those refried beans are sooo good! However…they usually are loaded with way to much fat and sodium. To help your heart out, I have a super simple recipe that you can make to replace those refried beans.
Make a bunch of this and then add it to tacos, have it as a side dish, top your salad with it, or even add it to eggs or a burritos at breakfast! Super versatile 🙂
For this recipe, I used a cast iron skillet. Why? Not only do these guys make flavors punch through, they also help prevent iron deficiency anemia for vegetarians and vegans. Studies have shown that those who use iron skillets for cooking are less likely to develop iron deficiency anemia. Get your iron!
- 1 can of low sodium black beans
- 1/2 white onion – diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper – diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper – diced (use the remaining 1/2s as snacks;)
- 1/2 C cilantro – chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno – finely diced
- 1 Tbsp Tapatillo (or any hot sauce of your choice)
- Heat an iron skillet on medium heat.
- Pour black beans into the iron skillet.
- Add remainder of ingredients
- Stir everything for about 5-10 minutes. Make sure to keep stirring so that nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Yep, thats all you have to do! Enjoy!